My most vulnerable moment

There was only 20% battery life on my phone and today was the last day I could go shopping. “My sister and friends would never forgive me if I don’t get them anything. What can I do?” I was getting worried. My Turkish was poor because of that I didn’t want to ask any stranger for help. But I had no other option.  Of all my solo travels, this was definitely the most vulnerable moment I had ever been in.  There were only two ways this could go, Great or Horrible!

Find out what really happened in the video below.

Do you think my initial reaction was valid? What would you have done in a similar situation?
I would love to hear your solo travel adventures, please share in the comment section.
Also, Don’t forget to check out my previous post.
like this post? pin it or save it for later!
My most vulnerable moment

2017-09-14T16:58:37+00:00 September 14th, 2017|Journal, Turkey, Videos|8 Comments

8 Comments

1. Jurga September 16, 2017 at 7:59 pm - Reply

What a nice experience! The majority of people we meet during our travels are also extremely friendly. All it often takes is just starting a conversation, asking for directions, etc. And it’s also true that it’s easier to meet people when you travel alone. Although, we travel with kids, and that has also proven to be a great way to start conversations with strangers 😉

2. Michelle September 17, 2017 at 1:16 am - Reply

We also have had great experience with people during our travels. One time in Germany, a guy loaded his toddler and us into his car and drove us up to the entrance to a castle because we couldn’t figure out how to get there. Travel helps to renew my faith in people. 🙂 Thanks for sharing our story.

3. Miranda Knudtson September 18, 2017 at 4:22 pm - Reply

So many reasons I don’t think I’m cut out for solo-traveling, but I do love hearing others’ stories

4. Rachelle Gordon September 18, 2017 at 5:39 pm - Reply

That’s so awesome that she walked around with you! I’m not good at haggling, so that would have been the most exciting experience! Isn’t it amazing the kindness of strangers and how they can have such a great influence on our travels?

5. Julien Mordret September 18, 2017 at 10:49 pm - Reply

I often travel on my own and it’s true that I have always been amazed at how friendly people are, how much they are always ready to help a lost foreigner and many times, their reaction exceeds our expectations. When you think about it, we are often wary of strangers but when the person is a tourist, we are very glad to help. At least that’s how I feel. It must be the same for most people in most countries. Maybe an unconscious desire to give the visitor a good image of our country? Plus the curiosity for someone from another culture. In any case, it’s all positive!

6. Alison September 19, 2017 at 12:53 am - Reply

Solo travelling can cause me to be a bit concerned at times, especially when I have to talk to a stranger. I worry what could happen, especially when someone realises I am alone. In Iceland I did meet some really awesome people, who were also travelling. But 2 guys who seemed great at first, kept on to meet up with them again and that made me a bit nervous. Some people need to learn what “no” means.

7. Joanna September 19, 2017 at 5:06 pm - Reply

I am the same, think that everyone is kind and I end up meeting wonderful locals and have amazing experiences because of them. I will never forget my Cuban family who almost adopted me after the airline lost my luggage. Or when I was looking lost, looking for a bakery in a little french town to stock up with goodies for the ferry trip back home, when a local told me to follow him and guided me to the nearest open one. 🙂

8. Queens of Virtue September 20, 2017 at 4:14 am - Reply

Solo travel can definitely bring out vulnerability in us all! We as women, should never try to validate our feelings. It’s how you felt, and what matters most is that you are safe!

Hey! Your opinion matters. Leave a comment