Africa isn’t worth my money

Africa is one of the most misunderstood and underrated regions in the world.  The continent that is often mistaken for a country. The number one place people think of when the word Poverty is mentioned. The region of the world where people know more about its animals than the locals there. One might wonder “why on earth should I visit a country in Africa?” “I’ve watched the Lion King I know what Africa is all about”.  “I don’t want to see poor people… I don’t think Africa is worth my money.”

Maybe you are right…….

Africa is barren

Mt_-Kilimanjaro

Excerpt: Sierra Mountaineering club

Barren is the last thing you would want to call many African countries.  Africa houses some of the most jaw dropping natural wonders of the world. It is a continent with 54 countries, filled with a vast array of distinct terrains. Some honorary mentions:

Africa has a spectacular weather whereby most of its countries have only two seasons-Wet and Dry. The weather and fertile lands allow for Africa’s abundance in natural resources.

Africa is boring

timbuktu-003

Excerpt: King Of Wall Papers

Have you heard of the Mansa Musa _once the richest man on earth or Ibn Battuta _the most traveled man on earth or the University of Timbuktu_the First and Oldest university in the world or Faiyum, Egypt_One of the oldest cities in the world or Heroine Aminat of Zaria  or Wole Soyinka_Africa’s First Nobel Laurette  see (http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1986/press.html) or Koffi Anan_ Africa’s greatest diplomat of all time or Nelson Mandela… need I say more?

Have you read the interesting history of Ghana or learned about the Maasai people of Kenya, Himba people of Northern Namibia, The Fulanis, and the Tuaregs?  Or tried sweet Dodo (Fried plantain) or spicy Thieboudienne or scrumptious Konafa or delicious Bobotie?

One could continue all day listing interesting things from Africa.

Africa and the animals

Madagascar-movie-poster

Excerpt: The Loft Cinema

tlkcomic

Excerpt: Kublia’s pride land

Thanks to documentaries, movies, and cartoons; there is a general perception that the most interesting thing about Africa is its animals. Another misconception is that wild animals run about in any African city. Sure in some places you will see domestic chickens, cats or dogs, these wild animals that you see on television are either in a game reserve, zoo, or their natural habitat.  While it is fascinating and informative to know about our fellow living beings. It would also be equally interesting to learn about the people living there.

Africans speak Afrikaans

df13861b2663d15174cc5d69651d79dc.655x308

Excerpt: Afropolitan

There are 54 countries in Africa with over 1000 languages spoken. However, most Africans can speak at least: English ( the official language in 28 African Countries), French (26 African Countries), Arabic (16 African Countries), Portuguese (6 African Countries), and Spanish (1 African Country).

Africa is black

A general myth is that Africans have only one look. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Africans come in all skin shades, facial features, hair textures, and body figures.

Africa is uncivilized

1171247_orig

Dar es Salaam- Excerpt: Rovos Rail

Attracting many investors like Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg,  Uber, Netflix, China etc. Creating solutions to problems through companies such as BRCK, Dangote, Mubser, Saphon Energy, Cardio Pad etc. No more needs to be said….

Africa is dangerous

This might hold true for some places in Africa but the same could be said about many American, European or Asian cities. Just like with any new place one is visiting, one should do some intensive research on the political stability of the area and more.

Africa is poor

Internal-Wedding-Photography-Alfaaz0131

Excerpt: Answers Africa

“Let’s help the children in Africa” is a statement that is mentioned all too often. The images of African citizens living in huts or eating under nourished food while sitting in squalor as the “The UNICEF fly” perches on a child’s mucous-running-face comes to most of our minds. It is true that there is poverty in Africa as in many parts of the world; however, there are middle-class citizens and billionaires. “Africa is poor” is a nuanced statement. More correctly, it is a continent with a “tale of two cities“. We are only shown one side of the story.

Africa is sad

3-10-img923

Excerpt: parable.co.za

Although Africans face their own difficulties, the people create a way to make themselves happy. They share this happiness with family, friends, and strangers.

Africa is definitely not for everyone, but if you are Open to new things and have an adventurous soul; you would be glad you visited a country in Africa.

Do you still think Africa is worth your money?

Share and Subscribe 🙂

I hope you felt inspired!

like this post? pin it or save it for later!

Africa

2017-07-15T23:39:04+00:00 October 17th, 2016|YOUR VOICE|33 Comments

33 Comments

1. Christie May 13, 2017 at 3:41 am - Reply

Great post! I haven’t been to Africa yet but there are sooo many places I want to visit there. I’d love to go on safari, visit Victoria Falls, Cape Town, Morocco, and Egypt just to name a few. The culture seems so interesting and the nature looks absolutely stunning! All the people I’ve met from Africa are so lovely as well!

• Hijabiglobetrotter May 15, 2017 at 12:14 pm - Reply

I feel the same way too! I wanna see everything. Only if my bank account agree with me lol

2. thelifeofasolivagant May 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Ah I love this. I live in West Africa right now, and although where I am living is not for me, personally, the places I have traveled to while living here have been incredible. So much diversity throughout this beautiful place! So many misconceptions of it! Love this post so much!

3. Meghan May 13, 2017 at 1:33 pm - Reply

I am going to Zambia this summer and your post just made me so excited!!! Great points and wonderful pictures – thanks for the inpriration!

• Hijabiglobetrotter May 15, 2017 at 11:58 am - Reply

You are welcome! I’m glad that I inspired you 🙂 I have heard great things about Zambia. I hope you have a great time there.

4. csaradar May 13, 2017 at 1:34 pm - Reply

Loved this post. Africa needs some new PR for sure. I’ve always been intrigued by Africa and plan to return soon!

5. Lovely post! And unfortunately true… A lot of people are prejudiced and find it not worth their money. What a shame their missing out on the wonderful experience Africa is…

6. Karin @ GirlAstray May 13, 2017 at 3:14 pm - Reply

I´ve never been, but I´d love to go to Nigeria! I hope to get to travel there in the future years. Great article!

• Hijabiglobetrotter May 15, 2017 at 12:00 pm - Reply

Thanks, you should go! Why Nigeria specifically?

• Karin @ GirlAstray May 15, 2017 at 4:58 pm - Reply

Well, I am a big fan of Chimamanda Adichie <3 plus my sister´s boyfriend is Nigerian so that´s where my inspiration comes from 🙂

7. Rachel Godzin May 13, 2017 at 3:41 pm - Reply

My first taste of Africa was Morocco and then after that, it was my honeymoon in Kenya and Tanzania. SO different, but the same absolute awe in both. South Africa is next on my list. And then? We’ll see!

• Hijabiglobetrotter May 15, 2017 at 12:01 pm - Reply

That’s amazing! I wanna visit Kenya and Tanzania too. I’ve heard South Africa is great .

8. Nicole May 13, 2017 at 4:11 pm - Reply

I’ve never been, but majority of my bucket list countries are in Africa. Can’t wait to explore the continent!

Great piece!

9. lincalinca May 13, 2017 at 4:12 pm - Reply

I agree Africa is misunderstood and misrepresented (especially, if you look at the map!) I know Ebola scared many people from visiting, but my dream is to do a safari in Africa some day… to really enjoy the beauty of the nature and do some hiking.

10. malika May 13, 2017 at 4:28 pm - Reply

very nice … go on !good luck.

11. xyuandbeyond May 13, 2017 at 6:29 pm - Reply

Excellent post, I have been doing a huge amount of research on Africa recently – in particular West Africa and find it fascinating.

12. Cristina G May 13, 2017 at 8:34 pm - Reply

I LOVE this post! Everything you say is so true! Africa is one of the most fascinating continents. I’ve studied African Studies for a while at uni (sadly I had to quit – hope to continue it soon) and it was soooo interesting and special. I’m dying to visit this continent!

13. akaleidoscopeheartblog May 13, 2017 at 11:38 pm - Reply

Lovely! Africa is big on my travel list. I would love to volunteer, but I would also just love to explore, meet people and build relationships while traveling.

14. Rashid May 14, 2017 at 3:57 am - Reply

Africa, from its flora and fauna, to its languages and personalities, is super diverse. Having spent time in 3 North African countries over the past year, it strikes me how little I actually knew about that respective country’s struggles, historical and current. Yet, all that personal baggage that we tend to try to escape when we’re on vacation, I felt, while being aware of it throughout my travels, added a separate, more real flavor to my overall experiences. Interacting with normal, everyday people is an incrediby human and enjoyable aspect regarding travel, and I feel Africa especially should be advertised in that light; so, thank you, for doing your little part in humanizing Africa.

• Hijabiglobetrotter May 15, 2017 at 12:07 pm - Reply

It’s what I try to do, shed light to unrepresented areas. The best way to understand a country and its people is by immersing in it with the locals just like what you’ve done. Vacation is totally different from living there, one would get to see the good, bad and ugly and hold a deeper appreciation and awareness of the place. Keep doing what you are doing and hopefully you share your stories and experiences with others.

15. Becky May 14, 2017 at 8:52 am - Reply

Ah I love Africa so much. Only been to a few countries but can’t wait to visit more. I think maybe Madagascar is next on the list for me 😊

16. youngandundecided May 14, 2017 at 9:18 am - Reply

What a wonderful post! I have never been to Africa but it has always been high on my list! It’s the worst when people look at a whole continent and just generalise!

• Hijabiglobetrotter May 15, 2017 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Yeah it is! I hope our generation and the generation after gets to change that.

17. Charlotte May 16, 2017 at 4:52 am - Reply

This is a really interesting post – I’d actually never thought about a lot of this, so nice one 🙂

Hey! Your opinion matters. Leave a comment