My parents won’t let me

One of the biggest obstacle for traveling or moving to another location are our parents.  Some of us have parents that  are cool with us going anywhere  as long as they know where. It is not always that easy for the rest of us.  Going to visit a friend involves a lengthy process (usually one week ) of convincing. So you can imagine asking your parents to travel could involve a lot of begging, crying, convincing  and sometimes eventually reaching an agreement.

I have heard of some individuals with strict parents just book their flight and then say “Dad, Mum so this is what’s gonna happen”. I’ve also heard of others, have someone lie for them about a trip etc. I am not suggesting any of the options above but this is the reality of the situation.

Dealing with parents can be tricky because they love you and have fear of a possible harm to affect their child. At the same time you love them but you want to take some risks and grow as a person.

I am a product of strict parents, I feel your pain.  I’ve had to go through some hurdles before getting where I am.  So how do you reach an equal ground of understanding?  Below are some tips, I’ve gathered together based on my experience and those of other travelers with strict parents.

• Know your parents
  • Give them time
  • Help them understand you and your goal
  • Provide information from reputable sources, real life experiences, school authority etc
  • explain to them the benefit
  • Show them you are willing and committed to FULFILL your travel goal
  • Be persistent
  • Involve them in the (entire) process
  • Inform them where you’ll be staying, emergency contact numbers etc

The tips above are not a sure way to get your parents on board but an option which has worked for many people.  Although our parents can be tough on us, keep in mind it’s out of love and protection. At the end of the day, they want what’s best for us.

2017-03-24T12:37:54+01:00 December 13th, 2016|TIPS|11 Comments

11 Comments

1. Jurga April 29, 2017 at 7:43 am - Reply

Now that I have three kids of my own I understand the parents more and more 🙂 I think the only reason they ‘won’t let you’ is because they are concerned about your safety. So make sure you are always reachable, answer your phone or call back asap, don’t ignore their emails, send them a message whenever you can and they will be much more at ease. Also, if you are going on a trip, make sure that your parents have your trip itinerary and know all your plans. Even if not everything is fixed and booked, you can still let them know where you are by communicating more.
    Believe me, all parents want the best for their kids. They want to let you go and explore the world, as long as they know that you’ll be fine. That’s why good communication is crucial.

• Hijabiglobetrotter April 29, 2017 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Thanks for your tips Lurga. Yeah it’s a whole different ball game when you are a parent. You get to see things from a different perspective. And yes communication is key! even though it’s not always easy lol

2. Teresa April 29, 2017 at 10:41 am - Reply

Wow! Lots of great advice for a topic that it’s not covered very often. Great post! 🙂

3. Karin @ GirlAstray April 29, 2017 at 12:01 pm - Reply

My parents are (were? I don´t live with them anymore) strict but I somehow managed to have it my way most of the time. Currently, it is more of a struggle for me to decide whether or not to inform them of illnesses and problems I run into when I travel. Usually I do tell them, but I think maybe I shouldn´t because it can get so draining – and the last thing you need when seriously sick on the road is getting a lecture from an overly stressed mother! 😉 I know they mean well, but oh my, sometimes it´s hard to handle.

• Hijabiglobetrotter April 29, 2017 at 2:26 pm - Reply

Hi Karin! Totally get where you are coming from. I always contemplate telling my parents the problems I come across while travelling too. They get very anxious, and I hate seeing them that way. I hope it would become easier with time.

• Karin @ GirlAstray April 29, 2017 at 2:39 pm - Reply

Yeah…anxious and even angry with me for travelling. But it´s my life, not theirs…I don´t tell them what to do either, so I´d love to get a bit more respect for my decisions. But…parents!

4. The Bold Brunette (@BoldxBrunette) April 29, 2017 at 4:36 pm - Reply

I loved this post! Even though I don’t have really strict parents, they are sometimes wary of where I am traveling to .I definitely agree with the part about giving them all info necessary – I always send detailed info about flights, accommodations, etc. to ease their minds!

5. Meg | MeanderWithMeg April 29, 2017 at 5:07 pm - Reply

I’m not a parent myself and thankfully my parents have never stood in my way when I’ve wanted to travel. But that’s not to say that I don’t respect their concerns and worries for me, which I know is only a natural reaction to their daughter’s announcement she wants to travel solo to the other side of the world! I’ve found that keeping in touch regularly with them and involving them as much as I could in my thought processes and planning stages helped to ease their worries. I have a strong relationship with them and thankfully it’s not been weakened by my travels.

• Hijabiglobetrotter April 29, 2017 at 9:12 pm - Reply

That’s really awesome! I always catch up with them at least 3 times a week. This puts them to ease.

Hey! Your opinion matters. Leave a comment